Friday, March 23, 2012

Serge Gainsbourg

For those of you, like me, who were actually around in the 60's...(now, whether you can remember them is another story...), you might remember Serge.  He was a songwriter, poet, director, general all around famous French womanize, alcoholic, man of many faces.  His most popular song in the states was "Je t'aime"....if you heard it, I'm sure you'll remember it.  He recorded it originally with Bridget Bardot (one of his great loves) but they would not play it in France because it was too racy.  He re-recorded later with Jane Birkin...his new love.  Jane was a British model and actress with whom he later had a child....Charlotte Gainsbourg, who is a pretty well-know actress now.  Anyway, the recording he did with Jane Birkin was released in the US and it was a huge hit.  If you recall, it is the one where pretty much all they say is "Je t'aime" with background sound track of a woman, obviously....well....having the same thing Sally had in "When Harry Met Sally".....know what I mean?

I always had a bit of a passion for Serge, and apparently millions of others do too.  I went to pay homage at his former home, on a narrow street not too far from the Musee d'Orsay.  The entire front of the wall which  faces the street is covered with grafitti and little love messages for Serge.   There was a very large van parked right in front, so I had trouble getting great photos, but here's what I got.







                                  This is a great photo, if I do say so............
                              Something along the lines of Life is not worth it, without real love......I think.
                              Those with better French than I, feel free to correct......

Here are some pictures of Serge.  I love his looks....even when he got old, his face still had so much character and showed every day of his life.  This one...when he was younger.



These next ones....as he aged.  He looked pretty ravaged at the end....I didn't included one of those pix.


1 comment: