Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Another Sunny Day



Tuesday 12 March was another sunny day.  Being in Paris, I of course started out the day by going to a famous chocolate/candy shop.  It is called A l'etoile d'or.  It  is quite famous, check out the review on Yelp and read some glowing descriptions of their chocolate.  Equally as famous as the shop itself, is the owner.  I believe I did not get a picture of her, but I'll probably be going back since it's not that far from me and try.  She's a very friendly, funny French lady with braids and she wears a kilt.  But her chocolates are to die for.  She does not make them herself, but is knows from choosing the very best from makers she has a special relationship with, to see in her store.  A small gold box into which you can stuff quite a few perfect little chocolates is like 26 Euros or more.  I chose three precious little chocolates and they were so heavenly!  Here's the shop:





Here's an interesting alley next to the store.
Hooray....I figured out how to make them larger!  I may go back and fix all the ones I've posted up to now.

After that shop, I went to a nearby cafe and had a cup of expresso and looked at my maps and off I went to the St. Pierre fabric district.  It is a series of little streets in the shadow of Sacre-Coeur, adjacent to the carousel at the bottom of Mountmartre.  There is one store in particular that is about five stories of fabrics, notions, everything to do with sewing.  I was in heaven.  That store had a great way of displaying the possibilities for their fabrics.  There were dozens of half scale mannequins all dressed in garments made from the fabrics.  They do not like people taking pictures in there, but I managed to get a few anyway, being frowned at all the while.  My apologies to those who will find acres of fabrics boring.......






On my away from the fabric market, there were some workmen.....some things are the same all over the world.....even in Paris.


I didn't go all the way up to Sacre-coeur on this day, I'm saving it for a day in Mountmartre.  But it was such a beautiful day, I got some pictures looking up at the Basilica and the Venice themed carousel  at the base of the hill.








On the way down to the bus, I ran across another great looking confection shop.




I'm yet to get a picture of really great pasttiserie (sp) but I'll get one,

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures, Mo - love reading of your adventures. Sounds like you're having a wonderful time and looks like you're having great weather too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It might be good to document every single chocolate shop in Paris. You have a good start. The fabric pics were great. What I would give for that little red coat/cape. Love to see the street fashions also--a little different from last year when the weather was warmer. Carry on, my dear. We love it that you're out there prowling the streets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this post has made me lose my mind. I obviously have the fashion sense of my mother because I would also love to sport around town in that great red belted poncho, so hot! Also, I love love love the photo of Sacre-coeur through the trees. It's an angle I have not seen before and really gives one a sense of it's majesty up ther eon the hill.

    ReplyDelete