Thursday, March 22, 2012

La Laverie

Yesterday, Wednesday, I was feeling a little beat....after days of walking miles and miles a day....so I kind of took it easy.  I did wander the neighborhood a little....did a little food shopping.

I came across a Laundromat....with no one in it....so I went inside to see if I could figure out how it works.  That way, when I come back to do my actual laundry, I won't be standing around trying to figure out what to do while angry French housewives push me out of the way.  I did take some pictures so I could study further the instructions which were posted prominently on the walls.

I think it says....
INSTRUCTIONS FOR WASHING
-Select the Program (you do that on the machine with a little dial you turn...based on the temperature you want the water.
-Put in the washing powder - the little markings on the sign correspond to the markings on a drawer in top of the machine where you put the Pre-Wash (whatever that is), the Washing Powder, and the Softener
-Pay at the Central Payment machine
-Push the number corresponding to the machine
-GET THE HELL OUT.....no that can't be right....I think it's starts automatically
    The little red sign says No Hand Washing

This one is INSTRUCTIONS FOR DRYING
-Select the temperature
-Select the number of the machine
-Pay at the central payment station            Pretty straight forward.

Machines #20 and #19.  These particular machine are quite small....won't do a very big load.  There are bigger ones also.

This is the scary looking Central Pay Station.
The red numbers at the top indicated the kinds of coins it takes.  The Red ANNULER means hit the star or the pound sign to cancel.  And then it shows that it takes 5 Euro and 10 Euro notes.
INSTRUCTIONS OF USE
-Load the machine and close the porthole
-Select the number of your machine
-Introduce the sum indicated
-The machine starts up automatically

So that's it!  I can handle that.....she says with confidence.  I just need to get some, Pre-Wash, Washing Powder and Softener and a bunch of coins and some 5 and 10 Euro notes.  Wish me luck!

4 comments:

  1. Yes, you can do this. Machines look very nice and clean and new. I loved your translation of depart automatique. Glad you are taking a chance to take it easy at least for one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Moe,
    This is so much fun looking at Paris through your eyes. This morning there is snow on the ground. I can't wait for warmer days and gardening.
    Take care of yourself. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the homefront the sun is shining nicely thru the front window.
    Nevermind that the temperature is about 35*... I'm reminded that Spring is here and the warmth not far off. Melvin and I have frequent chats. He meows, I do the same, over and over. He seems to be interested in what I have to say. I look forward each day to your ramblings from Paris...

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are a brave woman! go forth and clean.

    ReplyDelete