Monday, May 21, 2012

La Sainte Chapelle Concert

also Friday May 11, 2012

In the evening I met up with some people from Portland who were in town for a week or so and we went to the cathedral of St. Chapelle  to hear some classical  music and see the famous stained glass windows.  St. Chapelle was built in the 1200's specifically to house several holy relics acquired by the King.  Over the years I have heard so much about his magnificent  chapel and how the light coming through makes it feel like you are sitting inside a box of precious jewels.  Well, it was beautiful, no doubt about it.  However, at the particular time we were there, it was a very dark, cloudy day.  You could definitely get the effect, but I'm sure it could have been brighter.  Also, apparently they are in the midst of renovations on nearly a third of the windows, so they were blocked off, enclosed in scaffolding and a big box.  Please pardon my criticism, but at 30 Euros, I did feel a little disappointed.  Perhaps I'll return some day and be a little more aware of the particular conditions  in place at the time of my visit.....

The pictures I tried to take did not turn out all that well, so I got some off Google Images so you could appreciate of glory of it all......




These are the pictures I took....you can see the corner of the "big box" to the left.....



No comments:

Post a Comment